Saturday, April 30, 2016

Lovecraftian Thing a Day No.121: Frank Belknap Long Paperbacks


Following on from yesterday's post, today I present my small collection of Frank Belknap Long paperbacks, which include most of Long's contributions to the Cthulhu Mythos. The Horror from the Hills appears in the volume entitled Odd Science Fiction, which I was excited to discover at a paperback stall at Leeds University in 1988. This set me back £4.50, which was quite a chunk of change back then - as I recall a pint of beer in the student union was around 70p at that time. Given that I tend to use beer, mead, and (especially) cider as the general measure of value, based on today's London beer prices, the book would now cost close to £30, so there you go. The two Panther editions are notable for their Bruce Pennington covers, and are nice examples of the classic era of 1970s weird fiction paperback cover art. Tomorrow marks another landmark post in this series, and will be celebrated with the final part of a Frank Belknap Long trilogy of posts. Be seeing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment