Tuesday, September 11, 2018

The Lovecraftian Thing a Day (2018) No.254: My Work Is Not Yet Done


Ligotti’s My Work Is Not Yet Done blends antinatalist cosmicism with the crippling anxiety that is increasingly the consequence of unfettered neoliberal corporatism - and of the crisis capitalism which seeks to make extreme uncertainty and blinkered self-interest the new psychological norm.

One of Ligotti’s best ‘recent’ works - although given that it was actually written in 2002, also a chilling prognostication of (to use Ligotti’s term) the swinish antihumanism of accelerating corporate modernity - one that is not liable to lead to a new Prometheanism (as some accelerationists predict), but to environmental collapse and, inevitably, our extinction. Thinking abut how I can work this as a textbook into my anthropology foundation programme - which perhaps tells you just about everythng you need to know about my anthropological views on ‘human nature’...

No comments:

Post a Comment