Thursday, May 17, 2018

The Lovecraftian Thing a Day (2018) No.137: Expedition



Expedition is marketed as a card based, app-driven solitaire roleplaying game, for which a Lovecraftian horror supplement is also available. This being right up my street, I dove right in, downloaded the app, and began playing...

Or at least I would have done had not the app crashed multiple times. But being the perservering type I tried again. And again. And again.

Finally, I managed to access the introductory scenario for the basic game. This went something along the lines of ‘All of the town’s cheese has been stolen. You follow a trail of crums, which lead to the sewers. There you encounter some rats. Fight them’. So much for the immersive rpg experience I was anticipating. Combat ensured, which was a lifeless, abstract affair. I think I lost, but then the app crashed again.

Not to be deterred, after more attempts to launch the app with the added material from the Lovecraft supplement, I began my next scenario, anticipating a heavily story-driven tale of cosmic horror. Instead I got somethng along the lines of ‘All of the town’s cheese has been stolen. You follow a trail of crums, which lead to the sewers. There you encounter a Hound of Tindalos. Fight it’.

Perhaps I am missing something here, but regardless, these fuckers are going straight onto ebay.

No comments:

Post a Comment