Tuesday, February 06, 2018

The Lovecraftian Thing a Day (2018) No.37: A Cat from Ulthar


Last night my Silver Key led my through the gate of Dreams to Ulthar - that quaint little town within whose confines it is forbidden to kill or cause harm to any cat. Indeed, cats were no stranger to the cobbled streets of that antique settlement: on entering the town late at night, I spied a furry hoard of those noble and inscrutable beasts padding quietly toward the crest of the hill about which Ulthar is built.

Recognising me as a Catfriend of old, they welcomed me within their ranks, pulling me to the crown of that hill; from thence, on the chimes of midnight, they lept on masse - carrying me with them above the rooftops of the town and upwards through the gloomy depths of space towards that great silvery orb which serves as moon to those dreamlands. Marvelling at this seemingly-miraculous endeavour, for a moment my concentration waned; thus my foothold on the realm of dreams grew tenuous, and I tumbled helplessly from the back of those mewling feline voyagers...

...Long I fell through the blackest night, surrounded only by stars, and by those nameless larvae - spawn of the Outer Gods - which gnaw hungrily upon the fabric of reality as they thrash mindlessly through the infinite abysses of space...

...Until finally I awoke, fully clothed, upon my bed, with a strangely leonine statuette stuffed in my jacket pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment