Sunday, June 10, 2018

The Lovecraftian Thing a Day (2018) No.161: Alchemy of Dreams and Other Poems by Michael Fantina


Weird and Lovecraftian poetry has, sadly, suffered another loss by way of the recent passing of Michael Fantina. I first encountered Fantina’s work by way of Rainfall Books’ 2009 chapbook Flowers of Nithon - an homage to Lovecraft’s Fungi from Yuggoth sonnet cycle, and which was a strong recommend when it appeared back in 2016’s Lovecaftian Thing a Day.

More recently I picked up Alchemy of Dreams and Other Poems, published by Hippocampus Press (I have a feeling that this may also contain Flowers from Nithon, but currently I don’t have the physical book to hand), during NecronomiCon 2017 - this looks as if it is planned as the first volume of Fantina’s collected poetical works. (whose career, by the way, spanned four decades). Alchemy of Dreams currently resides on my ‘to read’ pile, but as I am planning a Summer of reading weird poetry, I hope to revist Fantina’s fine work shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment