Monday, September 26, 2016

Lovecraftian Thing A Day No.270: Alone Against The Wendigo



My work year doesn't quite follow the pattern of typical of many other people's, such that today effectively marks the beginning of a 'new year' workwise for me. As a consequence, it us also a time of reflection on what has passed, as well as a time for for new resolutions. With regard to the latter, I have not only resolved to try and make better and more creative use of my time over the next twelve months, but to improve my overall quality of life with regard to things that are important to me re: my leisure/hobby time. To this end, Monday evening is (at least until January, when my work schedule changes) now designated as gaming night. I haven't been part of a gaming group for a couple of years, so any gaming that I do tends to be of the solitaire variety. In any case, so far this evening I've played a game of Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu (which I won); next up is a session of Call of Cthulhu using tonight's offering: Chaosium's classic solitaire scenario Alone Against The Wendigo. 

The author of this piece, Glenn Rahman, has an interesting history re: Lovecraftian gaming. Prior to the advent of the Call of Cthulhu rpg, he co-authored a couple of articles in the Sorcerer's Apprentice gaming magazine for using the Tunnels & Trolls rules set for running games of Lovecraftian horror - apparently these also inspired aspects of Sandy Petersen's Call of Cthulhu rules (if anyone is sble to point me in the direction of copies of these articles, please do let me know).

No comments:

Post a Comment