Tuesday, July 31, 2018

The Lovecraftian Thing a Day (2018) No.212: The Unspeakable Oath Issue 25


The pdf version of issue 25 of The Unspeakable Oath was released by Arc Dream Publshing today - probably the longest running magazine dedicated to the Call of Cthulhu rpg (although it did take an almost decade-long break between 2001-2010). Whilst The Unspeakable Oath started off as something of a Call of Cthulhu fanzine, like the UK’s Dagon, it nonetheless maintained extremely high production values during that period of its existence.

The first copy I laid my hands on was issue 7, which I think I picked up from Leeds Games Workshop in 1992; importantly, that issue contained a scenario entitled ‘Convergence’ which, I believe, marked the very first appearance of Delta Green and ts mythology, and which immediately drew me into its modern and revitalsed, conspiratorial reading of the Cthulhu mythos; in this respect I feel I owe a great deal to The Unspeakable Oath, as I can’t overemphasise the impact that Delta Green and its background has had on the way I have come to view the mythos.

The Unspeakable Oath no. 25 marks something of a point of transition for the magazine, with a dual focus on both Call of Cthulhu 7th edition and Arc Dream Publishing’s new Delta Green ruleset - even so, as there is significant compatibilty between both systems, this is not, perhaps, a major issue; for those with a fondness for Clark Ashton Smth’s contributions to the Cthulhu mythos, it also has something of a thematic focus on Smith’s Great Old One, Atlach-Nacha - arachnaphobes beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment