Wednesday, April 04, 2018

The Lovecraftian Thing a Day (2018) No.94: Call of Cthulhu 2nd Edition


In reviewing my posts from the last few days, it looks like I have made a mistake in assuming that my first copy of the Call of Cthulhu rpg was the second edition of the game; I first bought CoC in 1981, when it seems that the second edition was not released until 1983. Looking online, it also appears to be the case that the pink version of the game’s world map also belongs to the Chaosium first edition, rather than the licensed second edition which Games Workshop produced for the UK market. The UK-produced second edition rulebook shown above, which I picked up a couple of years ago, also contains orange bordering which my copy of the game definitely didn’t possess. Finally, the copy of the game I initially owned used CHA (Charisma) as a statistic, which was replaced in the second edition by APP (Appearance) - a decision I have never quite understood, other than as an unneccessary means of further distinguishing Call of Cthulhu from D&D. Well there you go - another barely-interesting trawl through my distant gaming history...

No comments:

Post a Comment