Saturday, March 31, 2018

The Lovecraftian Thing a Day (2018) No.90: The Eye of Azathoth


Last night the Silver Key opened a portal within my dreams to the vast, empty reaches of infinite space - and through those star-strawn gulfs of endless night I found myself carried on the back of a great scaly beast: a thing with colossal bat-like wings and a hideous equine head.

As the monstrous beast flew through those unknown gulfs of night, ever onwards towards a strangely pulsing beacon millions of light-years distant, I became aware of the frightful sound of discordant piping - a sound with no discernable origin, but which filled me with an unnameable dread regarding the source of that far-distant luminescence.

As the bat-winged thing drew nearer to the sinister radiance of that ill-omened star, the atonal piping became louder and yet more wild; in that moment I intuited something of the nameless horror which lurked behind that deafening, tumultous symphony from unformed spheres: these were the cacaphonic strains and disharmonious chords of entropic dissolution - the disorderly resonance, echoing through time since the moment of the universe’ inception, of a terminal, uncreated and formless chaos which gnaws blindly, hungrily and eternally at the nucleus of reality.

Understanding then the destination toward which I was being carried, I prefered instead to jump from from off the back of the great flapping thing which had borne me so far, to fall endlessly through the limitless chasms of space, where I was tossed and buffetted by the star winds and tachyon currents which flow through those infinite expanses, until blackness finally took me...

This morning I found hanging around my neck this strange and unsettling amulet, comprised of some bronze-like extratelluric alloy. The tinnitus in my right ear (which I have suffered from periodically for the better part of a decade) has also returned; somewhere beneath that internal hiss of white noise, I am certain I can hear the remnant refrain of a mad piping - a sound which, one might imagine, could only be produced by some monstrous flautist which writhes mindlessly and shapelessly within unlighted and undimensioned abysses at the centre of all creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment