Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Lovecraft Pilgrimage, Day 2

Again, just a very brief update. Made it to the Nicholas Roerich Museum today - great to experience firsthand some of the paintings that inspired what I consider to be Lovecraft's greatest work. I also took the opportunity to pick up about 20 postcards of Roerich's eerily evocative art (mostly the mountainous landscapes for which he's famed), including my personal favourite 'Himalaya - Pink Mountain' and a piece entitled 'Tibet - Himalayas' (which seems to have been a key influence on the imagery in AtMoM - I'll try to emded images of these paintings later). All of which will look very nice on the walls of my study once framed. I also bought a very reasonably priced copy of Roerich's travelogue Altai-Himalaya. If I'm not mistaken, this is the book in which Roerich details what some consider to be an early/pre-Kenneth Arnold UFO sighting over Tibet.

Time constraints meant that I wasn't able to make it to Lovecraft's old apartment in Brooklyn today, so have scheduled that for tomorrow, along with shopping trips to various bookshops in NY. I'm also planning a trip to the Compleat Strategist game store just on the off-chance that they have a copy of Fantasy Flight Game's newest Lovecraftian offering, Elder Sign (though I suspect this won't have made it into FLGS' until next week).

Later posts will include photos from my trip, hopefully accompanied with some more insightful commentary on my travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment